Ķoderi Castle Mound (The Big Man's Bed)
|Suntaži Parish, Ogre Municipality
The Ķoderi castle mound is located on the right bank of the Mazā Jugla river in the range of hills called Lielie Kangari that stretch parallel to the river. The north-eastern and south-western slopes are naturally steep and approximately 15 m high. However, the other two slopes have been artificially reinforced with ditches and 3–4 m high dikes. The plateau is 65 m long and 25 m wide. Archaeological excavations were first carried out on this hill as late as 2015. They yielded many artefacts and objects relating to households and everyday life. Judging by single finds and the deep cultural layer, the castle mound was settled during the second half of the late Iron Age (11th–12th centuries). However, there have also been finds hinting at a settlement during the late Bronze Age (1100–500 BC). The castle mound is an archaeological monument of national importance.
Listen to the audio guide’s story about this site:
The mobile app "Ogres novadnieks" is available on app stores: