The Former Sanatorium "Ogre"
|Gaismas prospect 2/6, Ogre
The building is an architectural monument of local importance, built in 1927 according to the design of the architect Konstantīns Pēkšēns as the Children’s Sanatorium of the Riga Central Health Insurance Fund. The largest and most magnificent room is the dining hall. It is decorated with wall paintings by Ansis Cīrulis. They have the status of an art monument of national importance. In the 1960s, the paintings were painted over but were restored during the reconstruction works in 1987–1991.
The sanatorium operated all year round, admitting 150 children during the summer and 70 during the winter. The central part of the building is masonry, while the sides are made of wood, and the main facade has a glass porch. In summers, it was used as a bedroom but during the rest of the year - as a gym.
The Ogre History and Art Museum offers tours that acquaint with the stories concerning the history and architecture of the building, the daily life of the sanatorium staff and its small patients, as well as the restored wall and ceiling paintings by the artist Ansis Cīrulis. To book the tour, please, contact the Ogre History and Art Museum by calling +371 65024345.
Listen to the audio guide’s story about this site:
The mobile app "Ogres novadnieks" is available on app stores: